Hinckley AFC 5-3 Cadbury Athletic

There were Bonfire Night fireworks at St John’s Park in the form of eight goals and two red cards as Hinckley AFC beat Cadbury Athletic 5-3 in the Midland League Division One.
In another explosive performance in front of goal by Carl Abbott’s side, Ryan Seal netted another brace with Javia Roberts, Lee Thomas and an own goal also on the scoresheet.
But Cadbury never made things easy for their hosts, netting three times themselves to always keep their deficit within reach, while both sides also finished with ten men after Cadbury’s Deon Colstock and Hinckley substitute Tom McCrystal were dismissed.
With just one fit and available central defender, Carl Abbott was forced into a re-shuffle as Peter Williams and Sean Williams replaced Mark Williams and McCrystal in two changes from Tuesday’s team that beat Coleshill Town.
AFC looked fluent in the first half despite playing 120 minutes on Tuesday, and moved the ball well in the first half as they looked to stamp their authority on the game. They made their ascendancy count twenty minutes in, when Seal burst into the box and rounded ‘keeper Reece Francis, before crossing for Roberts to head home.
And the game burst into life on the stroke of half time. Cadbury pulled level eight minutes before the break through Craig Oldfield, but Hinckley restored their lead through Lee Thomas’ stunning first goal for the club.
Then, just two minutes later, Seal netted his first of the afternoon to give Hinckley a two goal cushion heading into half time.
After the break, Francis had to be on hand to deny Lee Butler’s free kick, but soon afterwards Hinckley’s defensive frailties were exposed. They came into the game with just one fit and available centre back, and Odane Barnes took full advantage by breaking through and halving the deficit for a second time.
But just as Cadbury had clawed themselves back into the game, they were reduced to ten men when Deon Colstock was sent off after an altercation with Lee Butler.
And Hinckley made their numerical advantage count by adding a fourth goal. Francis could only parry Paul Sullivan’s free kick and was left helpless as the ball rebounded off Oldfield and in.
And Sullivan was at the heart of securing all three points shortly afterwards as his run into the box saw him square for Seal to net his second of the day from close range.
With fifteen minutes to go, Cadbury netted their third of the afternoon as Stuart Butcher fired an angled shot across Haydn Whitcombe.
But even though McCrystal was sent off for a two footed tackle late on, Abbott’s side comfortably held out to extend their unbeaten league run to nine.
Hinckley: Haydn Whitcombe, James Williams, Lee Thomas, Peter Williams (Tom McCrystal), Jamal Clarke, Andy Westwood, Lee Butler, Ryan Seal, Javia Roberts (Connor Pugh), Paul Sullivan, Sean Williams. Subs not used: Leadun Dunlevy, Tom Millington
Goals: Javia Roberts (20), Lee Thomas (40), Ryan Seal (42, 73), Craig Oldfield (66 OG)
Cadbury: Reece Francis, Stuart Cooke, Deon Colstock, Lewis Cosgrove, Nick Allen, Tom Brain (Andy Cooper), Daniel Douse, Craig Oldfield, Odane Barnes (Shaun Hunter), Dean Lea (Stuart Butcher), Dayle Kenny. Subs not used: Jake Wicketts, Daniel Thompson
Goals: Craig Oldfield (37), Odane Barnes (48), Stuart Butcher (77)
Attendance: 149

, , ,