Heath Hayes 0-2 Hinckley AFC

A goal either side of half time from Paul Sullivan ensured Hinckley AFC finished their campaign with a 2-0 win over Heath Hayes.

In a game which had a typical end-of-season feel to it, Hinckley were largely comfortable without being at their fluent best.

And the former Chasetown striker struck once in each half to give Hinckley their 27th league win of the season.

Carl Abbott made three changes to his Hinckley side that beat Chelmsley Town on Monday, with Francino Francis, Peter Williams and Sullivan all returning to the side.

The game started in scrappy fashion, with neither side really taking control of the game early on, but it was Heath Hayes who had the first two chances.

First, Luke Delaney fired narrowly over from 20 yards, before Kyle Minto controlled well on the edge of the box before curling wide of Haydn Whitcombe’s goal.

But then Hinckley started to gain more of a foothold, and Sullivan broke the deadlock 19 minutes in when his effort from the left channel beat Mark Wiggins and kissed the inside of the post on its way in.

And the goal settled AFC down, and from then on they began to take more control in the game. Javia Roberts thought he’d added a second shortly afterwards, but saw his celebrations cut short by the offside flag.

At the other end, Minto glanced over from a right wing cross and Delaney blazed wildly over when one-on-one as the home side lacked the finishing touch to level affairs.

Sullivan was Hinckley’s biggest attacking threat throughout, and on the stroke of half time his low strike went just wide as the visitors went into the break with a slender advantage.

Seeking the goal that would strengthen their position in the game, Hinckey started the second half on the front foot and Ryan Seal drove straight at Wiggins after James Williams’ marauding run forward.

Then, Sean Williams’ cross from the right looked to be nestling in the far corner and Roberts made sure it did go in, only to be denied by the assistant’s flag for a second time.

The home side then went close for the first time after the break before Sullivan doubled Hinckley’s lead, rifling home a second after good work by Sean Williams.

As Hinckley sought the goal that would put the result beyond doubt, substitute Isaac Cooper twice fizzed crosses just wide of the far post and Sean Williams fired well over.

But though they couldn’t find further goals, Hinckley were comfortable in victory as they ended their campaign with another win and another clean sheet.

Heath Hayes: Mark Wiggins, Chris Horton, Luke Holmes, Jordan Garner, Luke Wright (Alex Scott 65), Andy Davis, Luke Delaney, Gavin Saunders, Kyle Minto, Brad Rolston (Kory Burke 71), Ryan Burns. Subs not used: Harry Phillips, Jamie Hawkins, Ryan Goodwin

Hinckley: Haydn Whitcombe, James Williams (Leadun Dunlevy 85), Lee Thomas (Isaac Cooper 62), Mark Williams, Francino Francis, Andy Westwood, Peter Williams (Chad Degville-Cross 62), Ryan Seal, Sean Williams, Paul Sullivan, Javia Roberts. Subs not used: Jack Hartopp, Lewis Riley

Goals: Paul Sullivan (19, 61)

, , ,