Hinckley AFC 2-0 Cadbury Athletic

Hinckley AFC 2-0 Cadbury Athletic

Second half goals from substitutes David Blenkinsopp and Bilal Yafai gave Hinckley AFC a 2-0 win over Cadbury Athletic at St John’s Park.

After a goalless first half where chances were few and far between, Hinckley were patient and were rewarded when Blenkinsopp netted 17 minutes from time.

And with Cadbury chasing an equaliser late on, debutant Yafai took advantage of a stretched game, scoring six minutes into his Hinckley career with an emphatic second to secure Hinckley’s fourth win in five.

In the only change to the side that beat Birstall United in midweek, Lee Butler replaced Alex Morris, meaning Marcus Jackson moved to right back and Mitchell Tomlinson partnered Greg Pearson in the centre.

Hinckley started brightly with Javia Roberts, Marco Adaggio and Ryan Seal on the front foot early on, but it was Cadbury who had the first chance, though Hinckley ‘keeper Tom Cross was able to watch the shot fly harmlessly over the bar.

Shortly afterwards, Roberts nearly gave AFC the lead but couldn’t bundle home Luke Richards’ cross at the far post.

Then, Pearson should have given his side the lead, but headed Richards’ corner wide of the post in acres of space.

As the half wore on, Hinckley continued to have the majority of possession but couldn’t fashion the chances to break down the well organised Chocolatemen. Visiting ‘keeper Fraser Oliver had to be alert to prevent Seal’s effort finding the top corner, before Darious Darkin’s challenge prevented Cadbury having a goalbound attempt.

The second half was similar for a time, with Richards failing to convert Roberts’ cross at the far post.

At the other end, Cadbury threatened when Stuart Butcher was played onside, but Lee Thomas produced an excellent recovering challenge to deny him a shot on goal.

As the game entered its final quarter, Hinckley started to produce more clear cut chances. Seal’s header drifted narrowly wide, and he was replaced by Blenkinsopp shortly afterwards.

And just two minutes after his introduction, the former Nuneaton man scored his first club goal to break the deadlock. After being found by Jackson on the wing, Roberts saw his low shot parried, but Blenkinsopp was on hand to pounce on the rebound from close range and give his side the lead.

With time running out, Cadbury piled forward in search of a late leveller, but left themselves exposed at the back and Hinckley took full advantage with three minutes to go. Six minutes into his debut, Yafai fired a thunderous strike into the roof of the net from six yards.

That put the game beyond Cadbury’s reach, and Hinckley comfortably held out to keep their third clean sheet in five and move up to seventh in the table ahead of the visit of Pelsall Villa on Tuesday.

Hinckley: Tom Cross, Marcus Jackson, Lee Thomas, Mitchell Tomlinson, Greg Pearson, Lee Butler, Javia Roberts, Darious Darkin, Ryan Seal (David Blenkinsopp 71), Marco Adaggio (Sam Agar 63), Luke Richards (Bilal Yafai 81). Subs not used: Mike Harvey, Isaac Cooper.

Goals: David Blenkinsopp (73), Bilal Yafai (87)

Cadbury: Fraser Oliver, Deon Colstock, Brett Lloyd, Jack Walton, Nicholas Allen, Tom Brain, Josh Westwood, Eddy Fogg (Jevaughni Robinson 81), Stuart Butcher, Andrew Cooper, Sam Griffin. Subs not used: Bakir Al-Sualma, Daniel Thomson

Attendance: 177

, , ,