Hinckley AFC 6-0 Nuneaton Griff

A clinical team performance saw Hinckley AFC score three times in each half to return to winning ways in the league with a 6-0 success over Nuneaton Griff.

Carl Abbott’s side were in control from early on in condemning their local rivals to a fourth straight defeat, and once Sean Williams gave them the lead from the penalty spot they never looked back.

Williams and Lee Butler added further goals before half time, while after the break Lee Miveld’s debut goal and George Bowerman’s brace wrapped up a comprehensive win.

Abbott made two changes to the side that knocked Aylestone Park out of the FA Cup on Saturday. Mitchell Tomlinson made his first start of the season in place of Alex Morris, while Bekir Halil returned in midfield.

In truth, Hinckley never really looked like dropping points. Bowerman was a threat from early in the game, and had two early half chances which both resulted in corners.

Then, a flowing move on the break involving Bowerman and Williams teed up Sam Agar, whose first time shot was tipped around the post by George Woodward.

Griff’s first chance came on the quarter hour mark through midfielder Steve Merry, who nodded a free header wide at the far post.

But Hinckley quickly asserted their attacking force on the game again. When Bowerman got to the byline and pulled back for Agar only one resulted looked likely, but Sam Reader tried to block and forced the striker to find Williams, who saw a shot deflected wide.

From the resulting corner Agar was denied again, as James Williams’ flick on fell his way, and he was denied by a goalline clearance.

It was then Agar’s turn to provide for his strike partner, slipping Bowerman through on goal only for Woodward to make the save.

Despite all Hinckley’s chances, it was Griff who nearly took the lead on 27 minutes. Matt Brennan was sent through and prodded goalbound, but Haydn Whitcombe pulled off a fine low save to keep the scores level.

How grateful Hinckley were for that when they took the lead just a minute later. Isaac Cooper’s fabulous switch of play found Williams on the right, and he was tripped on entering the box. Agar missed from the spot on Saturday so Williams took it upon himself to score this one, sending Woodward the wrong way from 12 yards.

That started a clinical spell of three goals in five minutes that put Hinckley in control. Williams drove over from a narrow angle but wasn’t to be denied two minutes later as he unleashed a swerving strike from 25 yards that nestled in the top corner.

And the cheers for that goal had barely died down by the time they started again for the third. Bowerman’s strike was saved, but Agar squared for Butler to side foot home from eight yards for Hinckley’s third.

The second half continued in similar fashion, and twice Bowerman had chances to grab his first goal of the night, first shooting narrowly over after Williams’ eye of the needle pass gave him a sight of goal, before an attempted lob was comfortably held by Woodward.

New signing Miveld then came on as a substitute for his debut, and less than five minutes later he was on the scoresheet. Lovely link up play on the edge of the box saw a one-two with Agar before a precise finish into the corner.

Even with the win secured, Hinckley didn’t let up and Bowerman got the reward for his tireless running midway through the half. Cooper’s deflected shot hit the bar, and rebounded for Bowerman to nod home the simplest of headers from six yards.

To Griff’s credit, even at 5-0 down they still tried to play some decent football and nearly got their reward through Jack Colley, who twice went close with long range strikers – first firing wide before calling Whitcombe into action for the first time in the half from a similar position.

Hinckley, though, were still hungry for goals and after Cooper’s fierce long range strike clipped the bar, they scored a sixth. Bowerman was the beneficiary again as Halil’s lofted ball allowed Agar to get to the byline and pull back for the striker to fire into the roof of the net.

As the game drew to its conclusion, Whitcombe had to tip over from Merry’s clean strike to preserve Hinckley’s clean sheet, but preserve it they did and they shut the opposition out for the first time this season.

It means they have won back-to-back home games heading into another on Saturday, when Paget Rangers visit for the first half of a bank holiday double header.

Hinckley: Haydn Whitcombe, James Williams, Joe Haines (Brad Rolston 69), Sean Williams (Marcus Jackson 63), Mitchell Tomlinson, Richard Munday (Lee Miveld 57), Lee Butler, Bekir Halil, Sam Agar, George Bowerman, Isaac Cooper. Subs not used: Asa Wright, Jake Healy

Goals: Sean Williams (28 pen, 31), Lee Butler (33), Lee Miveld (62), George Bowerman (68, 85)

Nuneaton: George Woodward, Matt Alton, Ryan Aston, Sam Reader, Frazer Mullins (Liam Stringer 69), Chris Sockett (Ben Johnson 67), Matt Lamb, Steve Merry, Matt Brennan (Chanda Mulenga 62), Jack Colley, Reece Williams. Sub not used: Craig Jee

Attendance: 149

, , ,