Hinckley AFC 3-1 Paget Rangers

Hinckley AFC notched up a third straight win and a second in four days over Paget Rangers as they reached the second round qualifying of the FA Vase.

Hinckley beat the same opponents in the league on Monday and this game followed a remarkably similar pattern.

The same two goalscorers, James Reid and Joe McNulty, put Hinckley two up, McNulty with a carbon copy of his strike earlier in the week.

The only difference was an extra goal, provided by Lewis Rankin, before Paget again grabbed their goal in stoppage time.

Hinckley handed a debut to new signing from Bedworth, Ethan Baynham, while 17-year-old Marley Sweenie-Rowe made his first start in place of the injured Jeremie Agholor.

And Joe Conneely’s side started well, McNulty heading over from a corner before Reid broke the deadlock after 13 minutes. Paget ‘keeper Tommy Doyle hit a goal kick straight at the forward, who controlled in his midriff before burying clinically into the bottom corner.

That set Hinckley on their way, and in truth it probably ought to have been more than 1-0 at half time.

That said, McNulty had to make a rapid recovery after AFC played their way into trouble to block from Leslie Omorodion.

Lewis Collins and Fortune Sibanda both had sights of goal before the break but couldn’t beat Doyle but Reid had the best chance, firing a cutback wide from ten yards.

Paget came quickly out of the blocks in the second half, Fahme Ibrahim shooting just wide after a driving run only a minute into the second period and Omorodion also firing off target after cutting back from the right channel.

But Hinckley rode out that spell and added a second on the hour. It was goal remarkably similar to one on Monday as Fortune Sibanda whipped in a free kick and McNulty slid home for the defender’s second in two games.

At this stage Hinckley were eyeing a first clean sheet of the season and when Brandon Bache made a stunning double save, it looked like they’d get it. He first got down well to deny Emils Fedotovs and then made a superb recovery to block Omorodion’s tap-in.

And where it could have been 2-1, shortly after it was 3-0 when Harry Walker-Donovan made good ground on the right and squared for Lewis Rankin to tap home.

But the clean sheet wasn’t to be, as the Bears mirrored Monday’s game and scored in stoppage time through Resharn Donegan at the far post.

But it was too little too late for them and Hinckley will go through to the second round qualifying where they’ll face Stafford Town on the weekend of 24th September.

Hinckley: Brandon Bache, Harry Walker-Donovan, Marley Sweenie-Rowe, Ethan Baynham, Joe McNulty, Adam Barber, Ben Newport, James Reid (Ryan Murphy 65), Emile Beckford (Lewis Rankin 57), Lewis Collins (Lewis Padmore 75), Fortune Sibanda. Subs not used: Tarique Hunter, Luke Wilson, Ryan Slinn, Kai Gibbs.

Goals: James Reid (13), Joe McNulty (62), Lewis Rankin (82)

Paget: Tommy Doyle, Delcio Neto, Jevani Robinson, Donald Egbon, Ryan Kimberley, Jamie Smith, Szhem Whyte-Hall (Emils Fedotovs 57), Ryan Butler (Harry Parker 67), Leslie Omorodion, Fahme Ibrahim (Resharn Donegan 67), Harry Jackson. Subs not used: Dominic Ellington, MacKenzie Humphrey, Nabiel Iyob, Niall Brendan.

Goal: Resharn Donegan (92)

Attendance: 182

, , ,