Alvis Sporting 0-2 Hinckley AFC

Alvis Sporting 0-2 Hinckley AFC

Second half goals from Ross Clarke and Marco Adaggio ensured Hinckley AFC continued their unbeaten run with a 2-0 victory against Alvis Sporting on a blustery afternoon in Warwickshire.

It was very much a case of getting the job done for Hinckley, and after a goalless first half in which they played against the stiff breeze, Clarke’s 47th minute long range strike and Adaggio’s late header ensured that Carl Abbott’s side are now 21 without defeat.

Abbott made six changes to the side that beat Coventry Copsewood last week, with Jack Hartopp and Michael Healy both starting against their former clubs. Mitchell Tomlinson, Ross Clarke, Justin Nisbett and Tyrone Clarke-O’Connell also returned to the side.

Both sides struggled to adapt to the wind early on, and it took until eleven minutes for the first shot on goal. Good work by Nisbett on the right saw him cut back for Avun Jephcott, who blazed over from eight yards.

Seven minutes later, Hartopp was called into action for the first time when he comfortably dealt with Steve Evans’ shot.

Hinckley then started to assert their dominance on the game, and Nisbett got in behind his man again after 25 minutes. After a similarly well picked out cut back, this time it was Adaggio who couldn’t keep his shot down.

Then, Jephcott saw his shot superbly saved at point blank range by Thomas Damon-Bryce, and Clarke-O’Connell hit the rebound over from an acute angle.

On 40 minutes, Adaggio headed Clarke’s cross straight at Bryce, before the same player glanced wide from Clarke-O’Connell’s delightful left wing delivery when unmarked.

The last action of the first half saw Scott Hennel blaze over after Hinckley didn’t deal with a corner.

But although Hinckley couldn’t find the breakthrough before the interval, two minutes after it they were ahead thanks to Clarke’s first goal for the club. 25 yards out, the midfielder’s sweet first time strike swerved into the top corner, and although Bryce got a good hand to the shot, he couldn’t keep it out.

Shortly after, the Alvis ‘keeper saved well from Healy’s 20 yard effort, before racing from his line quickly to deny Clarke.

Alvis never tested Hartopp in the second half, but Hinckley still wanted a second goal to feel comfortable, and it came with eight minutes to go. Clarke rounded off an impressive performance by crossing for Adaggio, who met the delivery ten yards out and headed past Bryce.

Hinckley comfortably held on for the three points, and with Highgate United losing at home to Bromsgrove Sporting, their position at the top of the table is strengthened ahead of next week’s meeting with Racing Club Warwick at St John’s Park.

Alvis: Thomas Damon-Bryce, Raj Virk, Luke Saunders, Ashley Buttery (Callum Rai 55), Arron Cheshire, Nicholas Whittam, Reece Snape (Aadil Pattel 63), Ollington Parris, Scott Hennel, Steve Evans, Jack Stubbs. Subs not used: George Swain, Luke Doughty, Ross Knight.

Hinckley: Jack Hartopp, Danny Kavanagh, Mitchell Tomlinson (Oli Basham 84), Dom Smith, Alex Morris, Avun Jephcott, Justin Nisbett (JJ Melligan 79), Ross Clarke, Michael Healy, Marco Adaggio, Tyrone Clarke-O’Connell (Rob Millington 79). Subs not used: Jordan Rushton, Nathan Walker.

Goals: Ross Clarke (47), Marco Adaggio (82)