Hinckley AFC 0-3 Tamworth

Hinckley AFC 0-3 Tamworth

Hinckley AFC fell to a 3-0 defeat to their National League North opponents Tamworth on a wet Tuesday evening at St John’s Park.

On a night that felt far from its mid-July reality, Tamworth grew into the first half as it went on and Elliott Durell’s first half chip gave The Lambs a slender advantage at the interval.

Their position was strengthened shortly after half time by former Hinckley United striker Danny Newton, before Jed Davies’ late goal sealed Tamworth’s first win of pre-season.

Despite playing their football four levels below their opponents, it was Hinckley who nearly broke the deadlock nineteen minutes in. Javia Roberts used his pace to break down the right flank, and squared into the box where Dan Preston got to the ball ahead of Luke Richards, and the ball hit Raajan Gill before The Lambs cleared.

But six minutes later Tamworth had taken the lead. Durrell, a recent signing from Wrexham, saw his initial shot saved by Jack Hartopp, but the rebound fell kindly to the same player who expertly chipped into the far corner.

Shortly before half time, Hartopp saved from Shane Clarke after neat build up play on the left.

Both sides made changes in the early stages of the second half, and it was one of Tamworth’s substitutes that doubled their advantage as Newton powerfully headed home Durrell’s corner.

Three minutes later, Newton struck the bar, and was twice thwarted by Hartopp; firstly after being set up by Durrell, then one on one after beating Oli Basham and Jean Kalenda with a superb turn.

The closest Hinckley came to scoring was when Nathan Walker’s 25 yard drive was tipped over at full stretch by James Belshaw.

Tamworth added a third with four minutes remaining, when Davies beat Hartopp from an acute angle with a low finish.

Despite the defeat, there were plenty of encouraging signs for Hinckley, who held their own for large spells in the game against a side from four levels above them in the non-league pyramid.