Pershore Town 1-2 Hinckley AFC

Hinckley AFC earned a battling three points as they came from behind to beat Pershore Town 2-1 yesterday.

After a goalless first half, AFC were up against it when Reece Jacobs gave the home side the lead, but the introductions of Sam Agar and Paul Sullivan from the bench changed the game.

James Williams headed Hinckley level as Pershore’s lead lasted just four minutes, before Agar powered home the winner.

In truth, it was by no means a classic Hinckley win. For large spells in the first half third-bottom Pershore, previously on a five game unbeaten run in their battle to avoid the drop, were the better side.

Indeed, it was the hosts who looked more likely early on as they looked to capitalise on Hinckley’s sluggish start, missing a golden chance to take the lead as Jacobs blazed over from six yards after a pull back across the face of goal.

It wasn’t until the final minute of the half that Hinckley forced home ‘keeper Shaun Edwards into a save, as he clutched onto Lee Butler’s volley from Andy Westwood’s chip over the top.

The home side created the best of the early chances in the second half too, Jamie Clarke denied by Haydn Whitcombe when one-on-one as he tried to lob the keeper, who stayed big and saved.

And Pershore’s goal came ten minutes later, as they broke down the right and Jacobs finished with aplomb by finishing powerfully past Whitcombe.

Pershore’s lead didn’t last though, and less than five minutes later Hinckley were level. From Butler’s free kick, Williams’ fine header was guided back across goal and it nestled into the far corner.

With Hinckley level, Agar and Sullivan were introduced as Hinckley looked to force a winner, and the duo combined shortly after Sullivan’s introduction. Great combination play between them set up JJ Melligan, who saw a header loop onto the bar.

By now, there only looked like being one winner and Hinckley turned the game on its head with a quarter of an hour to play when Agar’s bullet header converted Darious Darkin’s cross.

That meant AFC recorded their eighth win in nine games ahead of Tuesday’s trip to St Andrews in the Polymac Packaging League semi-final.

, , ,